Thursday, August 17, 2006


Trial number one...
Copyright infringement! Yay! This is definately one of those little buggers that you ignore, because you trust people and then it comes right back to bite you in the ass. A couple weeks ago I photographed a local band for free on the agreement that they would credit me on their myspace and website at CD packaging and all that good stuff. Well they never credited me on their myspace.... even after I sent them an e-mail saying "Hey guys remember we had that agreement that you would credit me? WTF?" They ignored it and kept getting hits on the photo, comments from people about how good the photo was, and none of them knew that I had taken it. Awesome. Now I don't have it in wrighting that they would credit me, but I'm pretty sure it's still copyright infringement if they use it in their album artwork which is what I took the photos for in the first place. Blah. So I'm pissed because I did it all in good faith because they are a well known band in these parts and I figured "Hey free advertising" but not if no one knows I took the damn shot. UGH. I'm so annoyed with the situation. I don't want to be a horrible bitch and sue them should they publish my photos without permission, but I don't want to be walked all over either. I learned my lesson and from now on I'm tagging all of my photos with my stamp before I give the band a CD that's for sure. These little assholes ruined it for all the other bands. I'll probably write up a contract too, just to have it incase. It's lame, but I learned my lesson.

P.S. All photos published within this blog are copyright Megan Thompson!

1 comment:

Aaron James Trigg said...

You live you learn. I also learned this the hard way.