Thursday, March 26, 2009

In case I haven't been up front about it. I run a band hotel. The night after Goodnight Sunrise left, Versa Emerge crashed here, and then Tuesday night Josiah, Bryan, and Matty from Bidwell took up residence. My house is finally musician free for a little while anyway. Last night we went to see Versa Emerge play at Chain Reaction. The boys were promoting for their Sunday show at The Roxy, and I was there to take pictures, and be overwhelmed by the crowd.
It's really been a long long time since I've been to a show where kids were moved. I'm so used to the folded arms and scowls in the front row like the audience is judging the musical acts on stage. Kids were dancing to Versa and the Gay Blades and when Ace Enders took the stage I got so nostalgic I almost couldn't handle it. Ace was on stage with just an acoustic guitar and his backing band was the audience. I've never heard kids sing along like that. There were times you couldn't even hear him. He said during his set that it was one of the most moving shows he'd ever played. I'd vouch for that statement. By the time he closed out with Ever so Sweet I was singing along too. It was freaking incredible. I guess I've been to so many shows lately that I've become desensitized to the experience. I photograph rock and pop bands, so seeing some really intense sing alongs felt completely new again. After catching a breather outside Craig Owens took the stage. I didn't know what to expect and from watching the set it seemed like the musicians on stage didn't either. He played everything from Chiodos songs acoustic, to Counting Crows covers. Again the crowd response was intensely moving. I could barely get any photos because of the arms and cell phones in the air capturing favorite songs to send to the owners friends back home. I hardly noticed that I was standing alone in the crowd and had lost the boys. By the time he got to You Told me You Loved Me I was texting friends from home. Chiodos is one of those bands that always makes me nostalgic for Montana. One of those bands that I discovered when I was stressed out with school, and would listen to on repeat in the dark rooms at midnight when I was trying to finish my experimental final. I miss listening to new bands like that. It's starting to seem so rare that I find bands that I connect with on the Bayside, Manchester Orchestra level. The show last night was just... so good. I can't really say much more than that. I can't wait for tonight at the Knitting Factory. Should be easier to take pictures, but even if I don't get to, it would be great to just see these bands again.

Craig OwensVersa EmergeVersa Emerge

No comments: