Friday, May 22, 2009


Lately I feel very much in the same boat as Ms. Garofolo about religion. I try to keep my mouth shut, and mind my own business, but as soon as I mention watching a movie like Religulous I get attacked by so called friends who don't respect my beliefs. I'm very much proud to sit in the agnostic boat, and I don't believe it makes me better than or less than any other person. I don't argue my point, because there's no point in arguing, but I'm regularly argued upon. It's recently gotten to me, so I'm voicing it here on my little soap box called my blog. So here it is... You are not better than me because you go to church. I am not better than you because I choose not to. Because I am agnostic I am not a lost soul in need of your savior service, and because you are Christian I do not feel the need to tell you at any given moment that I don't agree with you. I respect your views completely, and only wish that you treat me with the same respect.
Thank you.

2 comments:

Somnous said...

I completely agree. being raised in church ive experienced how political Christianity can be. people have lost the whole point. i cant really explain it the way i want to (blame it on 4am wine) but if i could sum it up its about your relationship. between god, the universe, yourself, whatever form of your spiritual journey. you and only you. i wish people understood that rather than feeling obligated to press upon their beliefs. i mean i get it from christians and IM CHRISTIAN. its something else. lol.

my sis in law sent this to me,its like 2min long, i thought it was hilarious. im sure youve gotten this before ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9v2MIZaShk
Sean

ps. i need to email u about getting some photos done, ill do it today, i swear!

Bob DeLima said...

I believe this happens to every "common" situation. Being Christian or believing in any other religion is the usual thing. So, by being part of the major group, people tend to simply believe they are right and those who simply aren't a part of this major group are wrong.
And it's funny how people try to prove their so called rightness. I'm Catholic and I have really close people that are "inside" the so criticized Opus Dei. It pretty much happens even inside the same institution. Those who "know" Opus Dei from The Davinci Code think it's something it isn't. The major group, then, try to convince me that Opus Dei is a bad thing, even though I'm not part of it. Funny thing is I don't really go to Church the way I'm supposed to. Still I believe in God, Jesus and some things they try to tell you in church. BUT it simply don't give the right to judge you or any other religion. Same to you or any other religion trying to judge me because of my beliefs.
In the end I happen to believe that, if there's a place where good people get apart from the bad ones, you are NOT going to be judged for your religion, but for your attitude with the ones who love you or admire you, how you show respect to people and animals and the whole planet you've been sent to.
BUT, that's what I believe in.
And yes I wrote a book for you to read. BUT you were looking for one already, right?! Have fun reading this, if you will.
I'm opened for a longer discussion and different perspectives. =)